In 1948, one of the many problems facing the new Jewish state of Israel was a total absence of armoured fighting vehicles, and the restrictions applied to nations who had tanks, but were refused the ability to sell them outside of their own countries, made the situation for Israel almost hopeless in obtaining any. They managed to get some derelict Sherman tanks that were going to be scrapped and a few armoured cars, but the number obtained was insufficient for the creation of a viable force. It was these conditions that eventually led to the to the development of today's impressive Merkava line.
- Following the cease fire of the 1948 war, several dozen Sherman tanks, of all types were purchased from all over the world and standardized on a production line set up in Israel, and designated the M-50 Sherman.
- Later, they were able to purchase the British Centurion tank which went on the same production line for rebuild to their own specifications.
- The country was still dependent upon other countries products for their armour needs, and often, due to situations beyond the control of Israel, they were denied shipments of requested items.
- The production line was receiving requests for modifications of M48 Patton tanks as well as Soviet T54 and T55's.
- Following the six day war General Israel Tal, felt an urgent need for a self-sufficiency in major weapons needs such as aircraft and tanks, due to the serious cutbacks in re-supply from leading nations.
- He became obsessed by the idea of building tanks in Israel, and although backed by some military experts, he was regarded with some suspicion and doubt by many others.
- Here, with feverish ardour and imagination General Tal started the venture which in nine years produced the remarkable Merkava.
- 1/35 Military Miniature Series No 127
- Accurate in all details with a realistic Commander figure
- Movable Turret
- Choice of Open or Closed Hatches
- 105mm Main gun with Thermal Jacket
- Open or Closed headlamps
- Accurate plastic tracks
- Ready to Assemble Precision Model Kit
- Cement and Paint NOT included.
Packaging Dimensions: Length: 38 cm Height: 25 cm Width: 6 cm All measurements are approximates to the nearest 0.5cm
FREE DELIVERY is available with this product for any orders shipped to UK addresses. This is our standard delivery service for which we use Royal Mail Tracked 48. Royal Mail aim to deliver by the third working day after shipping.
Next Day Delivery Available
NEXT DAY DELIVERY on this product for UK is £5.99. We use the Royal Mail Tracked 24 Postal Service for orders placed, using the Next Day option at checkout. We ship orders Monday-Friday, so an order placed on one of these days should arrive the following day. Orders placed on a Saturday or Sunday would be shipped on the following Monday to arrive the next day (Excluding bank holidays).
For more details, refer to our Delivery Information page.